Safety is a leading priority for everybody from first-year tenants to long-standing Residents. Your apartment is your retreat, a place where you can feel protected and at ease. Sustaining that sense of security is vital to the well-being of your loved ones and even your four-legged companions. Developing proper habits and making a couple changes to your home may keep you away from harm. All you have to do is follow these straightforward recommendations for securing your apartment in Indianapolis.
Always Make Safety A Priority
Your property already has various security features set up to help keep tenants safe and sound, but you need to engage with them appropriately! Make sure to close all doors and gates behind you, specifically if it requires a key from a tenant, like a workout area or pool. If your community uses door buzzers or passcodes to gain entry, only use them for your own guests. Opening doors for strangers may create a hazardous situation for everyone at the property!
On the topic of your fellow occupants, they are important in securing your apartment in Indianapolis. Take time to meet your those around you and figure out who lives in which unit. Having this knowledge helps you detect if any shady characters are lurking about. Your fellow tenants could also be the ones who make a report should a situation occur. Ultimately, safety is everyone’s responsibility!
Implements to Secure Your Apartment in Indianapolis
Security devices are vital to securing your apartment. Below are some widely-known and effective implements and how to incorporate them:
- Locks: Your entry points come with locks - utilize them! Prowlers look for the path of least resistance. Securing your various access points after dark and prior to leaving is often all you need to dissuade the common burglar.
- Sliding door bar: A sliding back door is often a likely attack point. Installing a metal or wood bar in the track to stop it from moving makes it virtually impossible to circumvent.
- Surveillance: Your apartment complex could have surveillance systems installed to provide protection for Residents, but incorporating your own can be smart. Place them around access points like a back door or overlooking a main hall in the unit to keep a vigilant eye.
- Smart lights: A straightforward way for securing your apartment in Indianapolis is to integrate lights that will make would-be intruders suspect you’re in the apartment. Smart lights that have the ability to be programmed to illuminate at specific points or controlled through a smartphone app are able to give the impression that occupants are inside.
- Window treatments: As simple as it sounds, limiting vision into your apartment keeps expensive belongings out of sight and keeps would-be thieves guessing if you’re at home.
Getting Locks Rekeyed Or Replaced Is A Wise Move
Before you move in, it’s smart to find out if the main entry lock has been switched out or rekeyed. Getting new locks is smart to ensure the prior occupant can’t get into your new apartment. In the event it has not been updated, this is a job the property owner should address for you.
Renters Insurance Is Smart To Have
No matter if you follow these tips on how to secure your apartment in Indianapolis, renters insurance is still a must. Your insurer will reduce your risk and help you replace damaged or stolen possessions should the unthinkable happen. Put your mind at ease with a renters insurance policy.
Would You Like To Pick Your New Apartment In Indianapolis?
Now that you know how to secure your apartment in Indianapolis, it’s time to select your new home at City's End - Fountain Square Apartments. We boast spacious floor plans, wonderful team members, and the sought-after amenities you are looking for. Reach out to or schedule a tour to get started.